Rainy Day Video Fun

It rained all day today to the point of Flash Flood Warnings…  Outdoor fun was out of the question, and any painting project would be complicated by the humidity.  I had a few cab signal boxes to install on some of my Conrail GE locomotives and I also needed to make some adjustments on the trucks on a Bachmann Amfleet coach.  Once I was done, it seemed like a good day to make some more movies, particularly since a few folks have commented on wanting to see some of my early Amtrak stuff.

Casualties of Sunday…

Sunday afternoons, especially when dry (a rarity in Florida), are a good time to trot the airbrush and compressor out to the back porch and weather some equipment.  Today was one of those days where I should have surrendered at first spray, but I’m a Vollmer, which means I’m stubborn as hell.

Casualty #1:  I had a Trainman 40′ PC insulated plug-door boxcar I’d planned to make look really nice with a fade coat and some good weathering.  Step one was cutting down that horribly tall Trainman roof walk, sanding it thin, sanding the roof supports down, and gluing it back on.  So far so good.  The next step was to mask the yellow sides and mix up some Poly Scale PRR Maroon for the roof to blend it back together.  Man, I should have just brush painted it.  I had seepage under the tape.  So, in order to remove the maroon paint from the yellow sides, I lightly wiped the sides with a brush dipped in Testor’s airbrush thinner.  I’ve done this a hundred times.  This time, however, the factory lettering wiped right off.

Casualty #2:  You saw my “Trailvan Madness,” my 4 ConCor Conrail 40′ trail van trailers.  I spent time detail-painting the roofs, trim, doors, and lights on each one, plus coating them with Dullcote.  All four needed just a hint of weathering.  Now there are three.  While airbrush weathering, my double-action internal mix Paasche brush started slinging chunks from my apparently poorly mixed weathering wash.  The resultant splatter needed to be removed.  This time, remembering that today was not a day for airbrush thinner, I used 70% isopropyl alcohol.  And the lettering came off…

I managed not to kill my other two projects today, which is good, since both are considerably more expensive…  An Eastern Seaboard Models PRR X58 boxcar and a Trainworx 85′ TTX fish belly TOFC flat.

Not every day can be a great model railroading day…